Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

OK, so I'm posting a day early...if I don't it probably won't make it on here!! =)

Freedom


Gratefulness

I talked to the girls about these two words quite a bit today.

I'm reading Flags of our Fathers right now and have been freshly aware of what the 4th of July represents. We here in America are among some of the most blessed, rich people. I am so grateful for the men and women who serve our country so that we can go about our daily lives as we do. The girls and I talked about some of the things we love to do and how in some other countries we could be put in prison for those things. Then I took them to the GA National Cemetery which is just down the street from us. It's beautiful. We walked around and they wanted to go and see the flowers and flags. I was more interested in the names and dates. I watched as proud Veterans drove past and meandered through the markers. I couldn't help but wonder what the man walking up and down the rows did to protect my freedom.

And then I was overwhelmed by another freedom I have been given!! Freedom through the Cross of my Savior! Freedom from sin and death! Freedom from fear and worry! Freedom from anger and bitterness! Freedom to serve! I am so grateful that the Lord rescued me! That "He picked me up, turned me around, and set my feet on solid ground".

Here are some of the pictures from today. As you can tell, Jordyn was not interested in being photographed at all. She just wanted to be back in her stroller with her tray of Cherrios!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grannie says....WOW! Aren't National Cemeteries impressive? I remember roaming through Arlington looking for my Uncle's grave site AND finding it. We are so very blessed to have freedom...thank you to all our veterans....past and present!

Mimi said...

Striking photos....thanks for your thoughts....we all need to be more thankful and grateful...