Sunday, December 5, 2010

When His Plans Are Not My Plans...

What a full, fun weekend we had planned! Friday we were going to go to the zoo, have dinner with friends and go to a meeting for church and the girls were excited about going to their friends for the evening. Saturday there were birthday parties and Lowe's projects to attend and a parade to go too, but God in His perfect planning had a different agenda already worked out for us.

Friday morning as I was getting ready for a fun day, I put on one of my new sweaters! I was greeted by my sweet Sydney - as I am most mornings - saying she needed to go to the bathroom. I was carrying her back downstairs when she got sick - all over my new sweater =) - and thankfully, the wood floor. Thus began a day of constant cleaning and caring for 2 sick little girls. Thankfully it was a fast and furious little bug and was done within a full day.

Reagan was upset about missing out on our fun plans (as was I), but I am so grateful for the opportunities this weekend allowed. I was able to talk to the girls about God's sovereignty and His perfect plan. God gives us good things. Actually, He always gives us what's best for us. Always. It may not always be what we want, or what's fun, but His care for us is planned out and specific and He loves us more than we can imagine. So, even though we were looking forward to fellowshipping with friends, celebrating birthdays, listening to the Word being preached on Friday night, etc., God's plan for this weekend was what was best to tend to our hearts.

I was amazed by the grace I experienced on Friday. See, I've never done well with throw up. Ever. Usually if someone else is sick, I can not even stand to be near them. But I experienced so much grace in caring for my little girls and cleaning up after them. I wasn't tempted to complain, but because God had already laid it on my heart to look for JOY, I was looking and again, He showed Himself faithful! Rarely do I just sit with the girls for extended amounts of time. We enjoyed a 4 hour Little House on the Prairie Marathon, I held them and rocked them and loved on them ALL day and well into the night. What precious time (even if there was a lot of yuck thrown in there, too)!

I am also amazed by how God sustains friends of mine and family who are regularly sick or care for those who are. As I cared for my sick children for one day, my heart was quickened to pray for the ones I love who are caring for sick babies or children or parents or spouses. It amazes me how He provides so much strength for those who need it, when it is needed!

So, this weekend wasn't all fun and games, but I'm grateful. Grateful that God is allowing me to rest and trust that I'm not missing out on things when walking in His will and plans for my days.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

thank you for sharing dear friend :) I'm provoked by your example!

Anonymous said...

I love all the joys you are listing...what a joy YOU are!!! Glad you were able to manage all the "throw-up" I know how hard that is for you AND Tish!!

Hugs & kisses to all.

Mama

Janelle Morrison said...

i love you.

amazed by even "practical grace" to be able to clean up sick. Oh, how He cares for us.

Love your perspective. Miss you terribly.