Thursday, December 16, 2010

Due to Inclement Weather...

once again, His plans were not ours!

I've been so excited about hosting our Care Group's Christmas party at in our home. I've struggled a little this year with missing the familiarity of the long standing friendships and family in Orlando. I've missed the parties and dinners and baking days and shopping trips that have been associated with the people we love dearly - especially that would happen this time of year. So, planning and preparing for the party last night was exciting for me! Reagan and I went out around 3 to pick up wood for the fire and cut holly for a centerpiece for the table. Then around 5 I went outside and I couldn't believe it...there was ice on the driveway! Then I looked out the front window to see traffic at almost a stand-still! Seriously?!?! By 6, I made myself come to the reality we were going to be eating a lot of cookies by ourselves tonight. And I was disappointed. And I tried to have a good attitude. But for a few minutes I didn't. I told Steve I just didn't want to plan and look forward to anything because it seems like God just doesn't want me to do the fun things we plan. I know, I know...boo-hoo.

Steve graciously corrected me and encouraged me. (I love this guy!) And then God quickened my heart to a piece of Scripture I've held near this year..."The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." (Proverbs 16:9) Sure, I missed seeing all my friends last night and having fun and celebrating Christmas with them, but I was grateful they were all home safe, too.

And instead of pouting, God gave me the grace to change and enjoy the rest of the evening! Reagan, Sydney, Jordyn and I read about the 3 Wise Men and about Stinky Feet (their favorite story from the Jesus Storybook Bible) by the fire and then we watched cartoons before bed. Then Steve and I were getting ready to eat cookies, drink hot chocolate and play Scrabble (he really was trying to help me =)!) when he had the idea to bring some goodies out to the people who were desperately trying to get home. Now that was fun! It was fun to see the surprised look on the man's face when he got an unexpected treat. It was fun to help two ladies who had pulled over and had been sitting in their cars for hours because they were both scared to drive on the ice. It was wonderful to be able to bring them to our house so they could go to the bathroom and have a drink and something to eat. God knew those ladies would need a place to be refreshed last night. That has been my desire for our home. That people would come in and be refreshed. No matter how little or long they stay. And last night, once again, He answered that prayer - even if it was just for a few minutes! Then we played Scrabble and Steve beat me, but once again God showed me that even when His plans aren't my plans, He never changes and He is always good and worthy to be praised. So, I will keep praying and keep planning, but I'll hold those plans loosely, too. Knowing that even though I plan it is He who truly orders my days.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

And that is just another reason I love you so dearly, my friend! God's grace at work in you is so beautiful! I love to be reminded of His truth through you :)
Sounds like so much fun to pass out treats like that! I might put that one into practice this afternoon as they're expecting snow here and we have that nice busy road in front of our house :)
Love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Aww....you made me cry! I know that you and Steve were a blessing to people and know also that God was pleased with your acts of kindness...I would probably never have thought to do that! So happy, too, that you were able to end up having a fun, faith-filled night.

I love you!

Mama