Thursday, August 28, 2008

DO HARD THINGS - 1

Recently one of our pastors recommended that Steve and I read Do Hard Things. It’s a book by Alex and Brett Harris and is about a teenage rebellion against low expectations. The only thing is, it is written for anyone and everyone – not just teenagers. If I could make you buy and read this book, I would!!! I have been very challenged in reading this book in my daily walk with the Lord. Since beginning the book at the beginning of the month I have pursued doing “hard things” with a fresh perspective. I’m not quite done digesting the content of the book, but I’m getting close. And then, there is application, application, application! Excitedly I look forward to seeing how we are challenged to grow and change. Also recently, the pastors in our church have recommended this book to our entire church, especially those in high school. I look forward in about 7 short years or so to go through this book with Reagan, then Sydney, and then Jordyn. My prayer is that they will enjoy their teen years and not waste them!

Starting with the teen years.

Did you know that the word “teenager” was first documented in 1941 in a Reader’s Digest? That means describing 13-19 olds as teenagers has only been around for less than 70 years!! So, what were they called before then? Surprisingly, before 1941 you were either a child or an adult! Less than 100 years ago those who we now call teenagers weren’t spending their time conquering video games, saving up to buy “toys”, complaining about keeping their rooms clean because they didn’t have time due to activities outside the home, etc. They didn’t invest the majority of their time on entertainment. Oh my, whatever did they do then??? Family and work were their primary focus and occupation. (The book gives some inspiring examples of young men and women...and they weren't the exceptions of the time!!) Many 15 and 16 year olds were able to accomplish more than what many of today’s 25 and 30 year olds can’t do. Why?? Because much was required of them. Our society has placed such low expectations on the youth of our nation. When young people of the past were given responsibility that went above and beyond what even most adults do these days, they not only survived, but many of them thrived.

So, what does the Bible say about adolescence? Absolutely nothing. That’s right, you won’t find that word any where in Scripture. But this is what it does say:

“When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.” 1 Corinthians 13:11

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12

“So whose expectations are we living by? The Bible says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world” (Romans 12:2). When we let cultural expectations become our standard, we allow ourselves to be squeezed into a mold, with little room for Christ like character or competence…Where expectations are high, we tend to rise to meet them. Where expectations are low, we tend to drop to meet them. And yet this is the exact opposite of what we are told to do in 1 Corinthians 14:20: “Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults”. Our culture says, “Be mature in evil, but in your thinking and behavior be childish.”

A couple of questions to think on while I end this long post! =)

In daily life – whether work, parenting, caring for your body, etc – do we do the bare minimum of what is required of us or do we push ourselves?

What is our daily motivation to do the tasks at hand? Is it for recognition? Is it to feel better about ourselves? Or is it to bring glory and honor to the One who has given us life and breath?

Have we believed in the Myth of Adolescence? Do we hold less expectations on teenagers than we do our young children? Do we hold biblical expectations for our young children?? Are we training our young people to remain childish for much longer than necessary? Is this lie holding back this next generation from accomplishing great things for the glory of God?

I'll be back...hopefully sooner than later! For now it's time to get my cutie pies to bed which means a few minutes to snuggle with them!!! That is NOT one of the "Hard Things" in my life to do...that's one of my great pleasures!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can tell this is a book for me to read.....let me know when you're done with your's so I can borrow it!!

Love,
Mama