Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snowed In!

Friday. 3 PM. I entered our normally very mellow, calm Publix and was almost run over by elderly people in the produce department. "What is going on?" I asked the manager working nearby. He said it was because of the big storm that was coming on Sunday. Well, Little House on the Prairie had not informed me of an upcoming storm, and since that is all I had watched that day, I had no idea what was going on!

Saturday we went to Lowes and it was crazy, too. They had sold out of salt and generators and other items that may come in handy should you be stuck at home (or wanting to get out of your home!). Steve and I didn't think much of it. I thought I might should find some candles in case our power went out for a little while.

We had a super time on Sunday with a family from our church! They ended up staying for lunch and dinner and left around 8. At 9, Steve and I retreated to our room to watch a movie. We came down at 11 and it was quite eerie! Outside was white and light! I've never seen anything like it! It was beautiful! Before breakfast on Monday we dressed the girls in multiple layers and went out to play in the snow! We made snow cones, snow balls, attempted a snow man, looked for animal tracks, played on the swing, made a sled out of a box and went down our little hills, etc.! They had so much fun!! (And so did I!)

Day 2 of the snow, not so much fun. A thin layer of ice surrounded our house and it was colder than the day before. But, I did enjoy not being able to go anywhere. To be undistracted and able to just be home!

Yesterday we tried to leave, but we couldn't make it out of our long, icy driveway. I made it to the front gate and then had to back all the way up to the house! More Little House on the Prairie awaited us when we got back in!!

Today I was beginning to go a little stir crazy. How in the world do people live in this for months on end?!?! I made it out in Steve's car and went to the store.

It's been so fun to experience snow and watching our girls playing and having such a good time. It's been fun experiencing different seasons since we moved up here, too! But I do have to say, there is still a lot of Florida heat running through my veins!! I'm going to try to not wish winter away, but spring time will be joyfully welcomed around here!











2 comments:

Amanda said...

Reminds me of Keith and I's preparation for our first hurricaine in Orlando: Scrabble (in case the power goes out) and a frozen pizza for dinner :)
And of course our not even owning a snow shovel when we got 2 feet of snow! Learning experiences right :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.