Thursday, January 13, 2011

Junior.



We have a new member of our family. He is growing on me. See, I only had a fish when I was younger and I killed it by feeding it to much. It always looked hungry to me.

I can't believe it, but I'm actually the one who recommended we get the girls a pet for Christmas. We started out surprising them and telling them they were getting two hamsters. After an informative conversation with the man at the pet store, I came home and talked to Steve and we reconsidered thinking a tiny little hamster may not make it very long in our home with a 2, 4 and 6 year old! So, we went with the more lovable, less rat-like looking rodent - a guinea pig. Of course, in my naive thinking I believed he would be the girls' responsibility and that Steve would take care of the rest. But I just can't stand all the poo. So, I've already cleaned his cage out a couple of times and it's not so bad. (And I'm not slamming my husband, I'm sure if I asked him he would take care of business, but I know he's busy and it just doesn't bug the rest of them like it does me!) And, a week into it, I actually touched the little guy. Yesterday I found myself alone in the girls' room on the floor talking to him! Reagan has really enjoyed him and has been holding him and feeding him and Sydney enjoys him, but not to the extent her older sister does. Jordyn likes to just sit and watch him and yell out his name! So, we'll see how this whole pet thing goes! I'm thinking our next pet will be an outdoor one, though!

Oh, and why "Junior"? I told the girls to agree on a girl and boy name so when I came home from the pet store they would have a name for their new little gift! When I told them he's a boy, they told me his name and I about rolled on the floor. They said "Since he's a boy, we want to name him Steve Jr. and call him 'Junior'!! I guess Steve isn't quite as outnumbered now!!

A couple of things we've learned about guinea pigs...

They don't need hay 3 times a day. One small handful is sufficient. You have to clean out the cage a lot less often.

Same with treats. They only need a small amounts...not a carrot, a handful of parsley and an orange slice. Has the same affect as lots of hay.

They are playful and squeal like little piggies when they are happy!

They are sweet with little girls who give them some lovin' and attention!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is quite a "catch-up" post. I like that you are going on with your joys. Love all the pictures, too. Glad you were able to get out a little bit today. Give everyone hugs for me!

Love,
Mama

Amanda said...

I can just see you with your little rodent, well no actually i can't even imagine it :)