Friday, October 30, 2009

Traditions and Convictions

Whatever conviction you hold about participating in Halloween, live it out for God’s glory! In all these things, a person should follow his or her own convictions, while understanding that Christians may differ in their beliefs about this issue. So, if you run into those fellow believers who differ from your stance on Halloween, give them freedom to live out their own convictions. The Apostle Paul said it this way, “Who are you to condemn God’s servants? They are responsible to the Lord, so let him tell them whether they are right or wrong. The Lord’s power will help them do as they should” (Romans 14:4, NLT). Jim Liebelt

When I was young, I totally enjoyed dressing up and going door to door for Halloween. As a teenager I remember helping with a creepy haunted house. I remember being Dorthy, a little angel, a red crayon - nothing ghostly or scary, just cutesy little costumes. I remember friends spending weeks decorating for this holiday. I look around our neighborhood this year and see some people have gone all out decorating - lights and ghosts, witches, etc. In the stores, I've heard people talking about Halloween in most conversations I've passed the last couple of weeks. In Costco the other day a man came up to the girls asking if they are ready for Halloween and what they are going to be. Reagan sweetly said we don't celebrate Halloween. The man looked at me like I was this awful Mom with 3 heads. He said "They are probably the only kids in Atlanta who aren't going to be celebrating Halloween." The response in my head was "that's fine", and for that I'm grateful. See, God is helping us to train our children, but He is also at work building my convictions and helping me with my fear of man. This year Reagan is old enough to ask (many) questions, and she's had quite a few about Halloween. Our sweet little neighbor girl has asked her about it, the children in Sunday school are all excited about it...so why don't we do it? Well, Steve and I have both had convictions about not celebrating Halloween.

Last year we bought a pumpkin and carved it and Reagan asked why we carved a jack-0-lantern if we don't celebrate Halloween...hmmmm...we weren't expecting that question, but it was a good one. We don't want to confuse our children, and often times we are so persuaded by our culture or long time tradition. This has provoked me to really seek God on what He has for our family. It's provoked me to talk to my children and encourage them that Daddy and Mommy love them so much, and love God and we are going to lead our family in the way we believe He would have us walk. That means we aren't always going to do what our friends do, but just because we do or don't do it, doesn't mean that if they do or don't do it means that they are doing anything wrong. For me personally, I believe Halloween to be a dark holiday that does nothing to benefit my walk with the Lord. There are many other days we celebrate throughout the year, so this day is easy for me to give up, but I'm grateful for our little ones and how having them has challenged me to think about why we do what we do on a regular basis (which I should be evaluating anyways!). I don't think we are "super spiritual" or superior in any way for not celebrating Halloween, but I simply believe we are obeying God in what He has for our family. I believe that He wants to see how we are going to stand on our convictions when we are tempted to fit in or please man, even in the smallest of areas.

Here is a quote from Al Mohler on Halloween and a few links to some articles in case you want to read more on the history of the holiday!

"The coming of Halloween is a good time for Christians to remember that evil spirits are real and that the Devil will seize every opportunity to trumpet his own celebrity. Perhaps the best response to the Devil at Halloween is that offered by Martin Luther, the great Reformer: "The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him for he cannot bear scorn."

On October 31, 1517 (what is now known as Reformation Day), Martin Luther began the Reformation with a declaration that the church must be recalled to the authority of God's Word and the purity of biblical doctrine. With this in mind, the best Christian response to Halloween, might be to scorn the Devil and then pray for the Reformation of Christ's church on earth. Let's put the dark side on the defensive."

Al Mohler

http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/11610063/page2/
http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/11610063/
http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/mohler/1228337/

4 comments:

Janelle Morrison said...

i heart u.

Anonymous said...

Mama says....Nicely said, Meghann. It is good for us to remember that just because we do or do not do what others do (even friends) is o.k. and is o.k. for them as well.

Love,
Mama

Mimi said...

Thank you for "spelling it out clearly" for all to reflect and consider!

Unknown said...

well said, meghann! thank you for being faithful to search out the way the Lord would have y'all raise and lead your family!! love you VERY much!