Thursday, June 7, 2007

Certainty

What is certainty? Webster’s 1828 defines it as:

A fixed or real state; truth; fact; full assurance of mind; exemption from doubt; settled state

Several of my family members and friends are going through times of uncertainty right now…uncertainty of what medical diagnoses are, uncertainty of health, uncertainty of their homes selling, uncertainty of how to care for family members and more. I have been freshly aware the past couple of days that I have no idea what today or tomorrow is going to bring. I have no idea if I am going to live to be 80 or 30. Life is full of uncertainties.

BUT then I started thinking of the things I am certain about. I am certain that God is in control of my every breath. That He has ordained joys and trials to draw us near to Him and so He may bring glory to His name. I am certain that because God sent His Son Jesus Christ to die on the Cross for our sins, we can walk with hearts full of faith and assurance once he draws us to Himself and we repent of our sins. I am certain that today has enough worries for itself and I don’t need to worry about tomorrow. I am certain that when we cry out for help, He is full of gentleness and compassion and He answers us.

So, today what are you certain of? What do you believe? Do you believe that no matter what your situation is today that the God of the universe, the Redeemer of man, is in control of your day moment by moment? Has unbelief allowed fear to crowd your heart and drain you of the hope that is in Christ? Well, then here is something else I am certain of! If you repent of your fears, your unbelief, your doubt, God, who is faithful even when we are not, will give you a peace and joy that will give you strength to walk through whatever trial you are in the midst of!

Here are a few verses that comfort me when I am battling fear or worry or anxiety:

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:25-34

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

“I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4

2 comments:

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Meghann, what perfect timing!!! Thank you for the wonderful reminder!!!!

I am praying!

Anonymous said...

Meghann, I'm loving reading your blog and seeing all your pics!

Thanks for this WONDERFUL encouragement and reminder of God's faithfulness!

~ Mandy