Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Did It!!

Okay, so I did a post a while back about doing hard things. I've wanted to follow up that blog, but it's been a little busy around here! BUT here's a "mini" follow-up! One of my "Hard Things" that I really wanted to accomplish after having Jordyn was to run a 5 K. So, since 6 weeks after having her I've been exercising to get ready for the big run! Oh, and here is why this was one of my hard things to accomplish. I have not been consistent in exercising for the last 7 years. I like to exercise, I just have not been disciplined enough to make it a part of my regular schedule. So, in order to grow in self discipline I knew I needed to have a goal in sight! So, even the days it was so hard to make myself go and run, I did it knowing that come September 27th I wanted to be able to finish 3.1 miles well. So, the first couple of weeks of running I could barely run a mile. Then last couple of weeks when I could run a mile with ease, I would just praise the Lord that I could do that and then ask Him to help me finish the other 2!!! I was so excited to finish the race yesterday (and not last!) for so many reasons. One, I accomplished one of my small hard things. Two, I know I am healthier and able to serve the Lord and my family better. Three, I am so grateful that I have the physical health where I am even able to exercise. Four, hopefully I am being an example to my girls in caring for their bodies. And last but not least, I am even more aware of my dependence on the Lord for strength and endurance and life and breath!!

The race was so much fun, although we didn't know if we were going to actually make it there or not! Traffic was horrible and we made it just a couple of minutes before the race began! It was down at Winnie Palmer and there were so many people participating! Jim, Ann, Amy, Steve and I all ran. Afterwards they had so many different booths set up - we actually had Panda Express and Chick-fil-a sandwiches at 8 o'clock in the morning! We also picked up lots of little fun treats for the girls! My time was 31 minutes which was actually a minute off of my best time running on the road at home!

7 comments:

Praise said...

Ok, so I am totally impressed!! Thanks for the encouragement to "do hard things"! Chris and I started playing soccer with our church to get in shape, yesterday was our first game. I was so exhausted after 10 minutes! Reading your post is very motivating! Thanks...

Anonymous said...

I, too, am impressed! Congratulations! That is such a big deal! I am sure you are thrilled to have accomplished that! What a testimony to God's grace! :-)

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

wow, i'm SO proud of you, meghann!!! oh...i'm so jealous of the soccer, praise! i may come play...

love you, meghann!! love the hair! ;)

Medana22 said...

ok, so Monday I too decided it was time to do the hard things of exercising. To give you a picture of how out of shape I am I JOGGGED a mile and it took me longer to recover from it then run it. I felt so sick afterwards it was almost comical. You are amazing to be able to run a 5K. I am inspired...perhaps today when I go out I wont past out;)

Amanda said...

yeah!! I'm so proud of you :o)
now you should travel to D.C. to do your next one :o)

Anonymous said...

yay, Meghann!!
Did you hear we're coming to town? Playdate anyone??

Love, Cherilyn

Anonymous said...

I too was completly impressed! It got me back into walking each day. Thanks!