Saturday, October 6, 2007

When others Suffer

This past Thursday my sister from Alexandria called me around 4 PM with some terrible news. One of my best friends from middle school and part of high school and her family were in the midst of a situation that made my heart break as my sister gave me all the details she had at the moment.

Although I've lost contact with my friend Anna for years, I still think about her and her family - I spent so much time during those years with her and her brothers and mom and dad and have many memories of my time with them! In fact, I thought it kind of strange that on my ride back home last Monday from NC, in the midst of hearing Blues Clues for the 4th time, the Lord kept bringing Anna to my mind. I just spent time praying for her, wherever she was, whatever her life looks like right now. Only God knew what her week would hold.

See, her dad, uncle and brother Joey are all lawyers. On Thursday around 2 PM a man walked in to her dad's law office and shot everyone in the building. In a matter of seconds her dad, uncle and brother's lives were changed forever...as well as the lives of those who love them. Last I've heard, her dad and uncle received bullet wounds to the chest and are in critical condition. Sadly, oh how sadly, her brother lost his life. He had just stopped by his dad's office before picking up his 3 year old little boy to take him on a trip.

This family is known for their closeness and love for each other. Her dad is an honest man who does honest work and loves and cares for his family deeply. I have cried many tears for them as they are walking through this tragedy - for what they know and for the days and weeks of what is unknown.

I have found myself freshly aware that our days are numbered and we know not the time nor the hour that we will be taken from this earth. I have been freshly aware of how important the mercy of God is and grateful for His saving grace and forgiveness. I have been challenged to trust God even though I don't understand some of His very mysterious ways.

My heart has been so heavily burdened for this family and there is one thing I know I can do for them...pray. If you will, will you please join me in praying for them. I am asking the Lord to drench them with peace that supersedes all the thoughts that enter their minds and that He will bring comfort to their hearts. Also, as they work through doctors bills, the funeral, etc. that the funds will be abundant...that finances will not even be an issue for them to have to deal with in the midst of everything else. Please also pray that He will heal Camille (her dad) and Sam (her uncle) quickly and completely and give her mom strength during this time.

Since talking to my sister on Thursday, this song has been on my heart over and over and over again...

O God of love I come to You again
Knowing I’ll find mercy
I can’t explain all the things I see
But I’ll trust in You
In every moment You are there
Watching over, You hear my prayer
You go before me You’re behind me
Nothing’s hidden from You

How good it is to be loved by You
How good it is
How good it is to be loved by You
How good it is

O God of strength Your hand is on my life
Bringing peace to me
You know my frame, You know how I am made
You planned all my days
Hand of mercy hand of love
Giving power to overcome
If all beneath me falls away
I know that You are God

Who can stand against us?
In my weakness You are strong
Your Word is everlasting
I will praise You faithful One.

There is much I do not understand. There is much I do not know. But one thing I am sure of and I have experienced through my whole life is that God is faithful. Of that I am sure. Even in the most trying of situations, God's merciful hand has been on my life and He has proven His love and kindness. I am trusting He will do the same for this family.

5 comments:

Debi Walter said...

Oh Meghann, I'm so sad to hear of this family and the horrible circumstances they are walking through. I will pray that God will comfort them like a warm blanket on a cold, dark night...And that He will comfort YOU too.

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry to hear this!!! I will be praying! Please let them know we are...

Tammy said...

Wow..so sorry to hear such sad news. I pray the family would draw near to God.

Tracy said...

This makes me so sad. I will keep this family in my prayers!! Thank you for sharing this story with us. I will be praying. Uh, so horrible.

Medana22 said...

Hey Friend,
I am so thankful that the Lord began to soften your heart for this family days ago. How kind that He would laid them on your heart so that you could go to His throne on their behalf, all the while not knowing their tragedy. I will pray along with you may God shed His glorious light through all of this.