Monday, January 29, 2007

Trusting God through the Seasons of our Lives

This week I have been able to see the grace of God just rain down on several of my friends and family and in our home. My sister and brother-in-law's house finally sold! They are now searching for a new place to call home! I have had a friend who has been seeking to grow and glorify God even in the midst of some very difficult times in her marriage, one of my other dear friends called me in tears on Monday morning as she is very lonely and in the midst of a trial I would never want to experience. Another one of my friends found out recently her parents marriage is in need of a touch from our Savior. I have had to be reminded several times this week by Steve that Reagan is responding to discipline even if I can't see it on a day to day basis - especially through the last month. Through each of these situations is a common thread. Through each of these situations we are all called to trust our Lord and Savior and bring glory to His name. On Sunday evening we began a new Ladies School of the Word at church and Sandie Brooks came and spoke to us. The teaching was wonderful (I'm sure if you want to hear it you can find it at here) and the notes are just too good not to share. I encourage you to take a few minutes to read through these notes and quotes! This message has brought much conviction and encouragement to me personally this week and I have been able to draw upon His Word as I have been praying for my friends and family who are learning, too, to trust God's sovereignty no matter what the day may bring.

Trusting God through the

Seasons of our Lives

Ladies’ School of the Word

Sandie Brooks

January 28, 2007

I. Sovereignty Defined

A. To say that God is sovereign is to say that God is in charge of the entire universe all the time.

B. Sovereignty refers to absolute, total rule and control over all things.

C. Scriptural foundation:

1. Proverbs 19:21, “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.”

2. Lamentations 3:37, “Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it?”

3. James 4:15, “Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.’"

4. Job 42:2, "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.”

5. Psalm 115:3, “Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.”

D. Is it important that we maintain this doctrine of God’s Sovereignty? Most definitely!

E. The sovereignty of God is not a secondary issue but is completely foundational to everything we stand on.

“There is no attribute more comforting to His children than that of God’s sovereignty. Under the most adverse circumstances, in the most severe trials, they believe that sovereignty has ordained their afflictions, that sovereignty overrules them, and that sovereignty will sanctify them all. There is nothing for which the children ought to more earnestly contend to than the doctrine of their Master over all creation – the Kingship of God over all the works of His own hands – the Throne of God and His right to sit upon that throne ... for it is God upon the Throne whom we trust.” C.H. Spurgeon

Romans 8:28 (ESV), “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”

II. Sovereignty Explored

A. The sovereignty of God is a very HUMBLING doctrine.

B. It’s an EXALTING doctrine because it gives us a big view of God.

1. God’s ways and thoughts are incomprehensible to us.

Isaiah 55:8-9, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

“That he cares not is just as unthinkable as that He can not.” Philip Hughes

C. It’s a CLARIFYING doctrine because it teaches that there is no such thing as luck, chance, fate or coincidence.

D. Finally, it is an EMPOWERING doctrine.

III. Sovereignty Applied

A. Understanding God’s sovereignty causes us to focus on Him, not ourselves.

B. We often live as though God is not the Sovereign One when we…

1. Worry

“We are not at the mercy of people who intend to harm us, even though from our human perspective it may seem so. God is sovereign in their actions whether we believe it or not. Our belief does not make it so. But the comfort God intends for us to derive from His sovereignty is dependent upon our believing it. Those who do not believe God is sovereign over the intents and actions of others do not enjoy this comfort. They often struggle unduly with the sinful actions of other people and, in many instances, allow bitterness to ruin their lives.” Jerry Bridges

“There are innumerable events and circumstances of our lives that, considered in themselves, are calculated to make us afraid. If God were not in sovereign control of those situations, Jesus’ words would be meaningless. If God is not in control, then I ought to be afraid. It is of little comfort to me to know that God loves me if he is not in control of the events of my life.” Jerry Bridges

a. Psalm 9:10, “Those who know your name will put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.”

b. Matthew 10:28-30 (ESV), “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.”

2. Regret

a. Psalm 18:30, “This God – His way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him.”

b. Psalm 56:3-4, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?”


“All the way my Savior leads me

What have I to ask beside?

Can I doubt His tender mercy,

Who through life has been my guide?

Heavenly peace, divinest comfort,

Hereby faith in Him to dwell

For I know, whate’ere befall me,

Jesus doeth all things well.

All the way my Savior leads me

O the fullness of His love,

Perfect rest to me is promised

In my Father’s house above.

When my spirit, clothed immortal,

Wings its flight to realms of day,

This my song through endless ages,

Jesus led me all the way.”

Fanny Crosby

3. Fear

4. Grumbling and complaining

a. 1 Thessalonians 5:16, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

Ecclesiastes 7:14, “When times are good be happy; but when time are bad, consider: God made the one as well as the other.”

5. The way He has made us is according to His plan.

a. “Everything about which we are tempted to complain may be the very instrument whereby the Potter intends to shape His clay into the image of His Son…A headache, an insult, a long line at the checkout, someone’s rudeness or failure to say thank you, misunderstanding, disappointment, interruption.”

“Wouldn’t our children learn godliness if they saw in us the example of contentment instead of complaint, acceptance instead of rebellion and peace instead of frustration?” Elisabeth Elliott

“You will never enjoy other people, you will never have stable emotions, you will never lead a life of godly contentment, you will never conquer jealousy and love others as you should until you thank God for making you the way He did.” James Hufstetler


Psalm 139:13, “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb."

6. Conflict

IV. Conclusion

A. Knowledge of sovereignty is meant to encourage us to pray, not lapse into fatalism.

“As prayer without faith is but a beating of the air, so trust without prayer is but a presumptuous bravado. He that promises to give, and bids us trust his promises, commands us to pray and expects obedience to his commands. He will give, but not without our asking.” Thomas Lye, Puritan Preacher

B. We should walk through adversity in peace.

Lamentations 3:33, “…for He does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men.”

C. Pray that you come to a deep conviction about these things, before you are wrestling with adversity or suffering.

1 comment:

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Meghann,
After watching you yesterday with Reagan and hearing how she's going through a rough time right now, I was reminded of the verse in Acts 2:17, “‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams..." Through your perseverance, diligence and love, you are training her (and Sydney!) in godliness and the fear of the Lord. What a joy it will be to see her in those days prophesying like her mother, due in part, to your diligence.

I love you and your girls - you inspire, encourage and challenge me! Can't wait to see you tomorrow! ; )

Love,
Auntie Jenn