Friday, May 18, 2012

It is called...

a light (Psalm 119:105)
   a fire and a tool (Jeremiah 23:29)
      a weapon (Ephesians 6:17)
         seed (1 Peter 1:23)

It is perfect, sure, right, pure, true and righteous.

It is sweeter than honey, and to be desired more than much fine gold (Psalm 19:7-10).

It can convert the soul.

Make wise the simple.

Rejoice the heart.

Enlighten the eyes.

It is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword.

It is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

                                    It is the Word of God.

Am I being governed by the Word of God?  That is a question I've been thinking on as I've been reading Donald Whitney's excellent book "Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health".

Governed - (Websters 1828) - Directed; regulated by authority; controlled; managed; influenced; restrained.

What is most important to me?  Where do I go for answers? strength?  hope?  Where do I go for light and life?  Where do I go to search for wisdom on how to train my children?  be a wife to my husband?  on how to love others?  Am I daily being informed and influenced by the Word of God?  If not, what is influencing me?  These are questions I'm asking myself...and forcing myself to answer honestly.  

I love this resolve from Jonathan Edwards...

"Resolved, To study Scriptures so steadily, constantly, and frequently, as that I may find and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same."

The Word.  It IS alive.  It IS active.  It DOES bring change to this heart. May I be increasingly governed by it's Truth.

No comments: