Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cling

Cling as defined by Webster's 1828 Dictionary:

1. To adhere closely; to stick to; to hold fast upon, especially by winding round or embracing; as, the tendril of a vine clings to its support. (Two babes of love close clinging to her waist.)

2. To adhere closely; to stick to; as a viscous substance.

3. To adhere closely and firmly, in interest or affection; as, men of a party cling to their leader.

Cling. When I think of that word I think of Reagan. She clings to me. She wants to hug on me all day long...whether it's when I'm getting her up in the morning, or reading the girls a story, or brushing her hair, she is always quick to embrace me. She wants to be where I am and involved in what I'm doing. Oh, and her hugs are the best! The are the tightest, best hugs I believe any 4 year old could ever give.

So, tonight I was listening over and over to a song on a new CD Steve and I bought on Sunday. It's off the Paul Baloche CD "Our God Saves". And the word in the song that kept sticking out to me was...drum roll please..."CLING". So, here are the lyrics...

I cling to the cross and everything it means
I know it's the only hope there is for saving me
For without Your great mercy
I would be forever lost
With a thankful heart I come
And cling to the cross

Standing at the empty tomb
Promises I have in You arise
I was made alive in You
Everything You said was true
You suffered, died, and rose to bring us life

I cling to the cross and everything it means
I know it's the only hope there is for saving me
For without Your great mercy
I would be forever lost
With a thankful heart I come (Jesus I come)
With a thankful heart I come
With a thankful heart I come and cling to the cross

The world behind me, the cross before me
The world behind me, the cross before me
The world behind me, the cross before me
No turning back, no turning back

Oh, how I want to truly cling to the cross in every situation! I often find myself at times clinging with one hand but then grabbing for something else with the other - whether it be idols or selfishness or what I think is comfort. But at the cross such peace is found! At the cross is where my Savior died so that I can cling to Him and grow to bring Him glory and honor and praise. When I am clinging to the cross, my heart is full of faith and hope. So Lord, I am thankful. I am so thankful that because of your mercy I can cling to...adhere closely...stick to...hold fast upon...your cross.

No comments: